Who is the Rock? The Rock is also known as the (Corner)Stone and the Stumblingblock. God’s Word, the Bible tells it all. God reveals, satan conceals. The Bible tells us that Jesus Christ is the Rock;
Because it is only Christ to Whom the gates of hell will not prevail. Because it is Jesus Christ and Him alone Who conquered sin and death. Not Peter, not Mary nor any other living soul. History is repeating its self. The Pharisees and the elders who were calling themselves Jews (Israelites) but are not and mislead the common folks. The roman popery of the catholic church is claiming they are “Christians” but they are not and mislead people beyond counting in this world.
Jesus Christ talking to Peter.
- Matthew 16:18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this Rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
So Peter is and cannot be the Rock. Also because Peter was not even around when the inspired Books of Moses were written, nor in the time of Samuel and the times of the Book of Psalms.
The Rock is mentioned in one of the inspired Books of Moses and 2Samuel 23:3.
- Deuteronomy 32:4. He is the Rock, His Work is perfect: for all His ways are judgment: a God of truth and without iniquity, just and right is He.
- 2Samuel 23:3 The God of Israel said, the Rock of Israel spake to me, He that ruleth over men must be just, ruling in the fear of God.
The Rock is mentioned more than a few times in the inspired Book of Psalms.
- Psalms 28:1 (A Psalm of David.) Unto thee will I cry, O LORD my Rock; be not silent to me: lest, if thou be silent to me, I become like them that go down into the pit.
- Psalms 31:3 For thou art my Rock and my Fortress; therefore for Thy Name’s sake lead me, and guide me.
- Psalms 42:9 I will say unto God my Rock, Why hast thou forgotten me? why go I mourning because of the oppression of the enemy?
- Psalms 61:2 From the end of the earth will I cry unto Thee, when my heart is overwhelmed: lead me to the Rock that is higher than I.
- Psalms 71:3 Be Thou my strong Habitation, whereunto I may continually resort: Thou hast given commandment to save me; for Thou art my Rock and my Fortress.
- Psalms 89:26 He shall cry unto me, Thou art my Father, my God, and the Rock of my salvation.
In one his epistles Peter himself also says he is not the Rock. He is referring to Jesus Christ in:
- 1Peter 2:4 To Whom coming, as unto a Living Stone, disallowed indeed of men, but chosen of God, and Precious,
The Rock, Who is Head of the Corner!
And most important is that the claim of Peter is supported what Christ Jesus said when He was walking on earth and referring to Psalms 118 verse twenty two.
- Matthew 21:42 Jesus saith unto them, Did ye never read in the scriptures, The Stone which the builders rejected, the Same is become the Head of the Corner: this is the Lord’s doing, and it is marvellous in our eyes?
- Mark 12:10 And have ye not read this scripture; The Stone which the builders rejected is become the Head of the Corner:
- Luke 20:17 And he beheld them, and said, What is this then that is written, The Stone Which the builders rejected, the Same is become the Head of the Corner?
The LORD took care that Jesus Christ became the Head Stone of the Corner. It is marvellous in our eyes but are able we to comprehend it all?
- Psalms 118:22 (twenty two) The Stone which the builders refused is become the Head Stone of the Corner.
- Psalms 118:23 This is the LORD’S doing; it is marvellous in our eyes.
Did anyone else or in addition to Jesus Christ blameless suffer and died for our sin and the world, by fighting off evil spirits all alone that were surrounding Him? Psalms 22:1-21
Food for thought.
- Romans 9:33 As it is written, Behold, I lay in Sion a Stumblingstone and Rock of offence: and whosoever believeth on Him shall not be ashamed. Verse 33 Didn’t Lord Jesus became thirty three years of age while walking on earth?
- Luke 20:18 Whosoever shall fall upon that Stone shall be broken; but on whomsoever it shall fall, it will grind him to powder.
When we don’t carry the Truth in our heart it is an another rock, another gospel, another jesus and, another vine. It is not the true Vine as described in John 15.
- Deuteronomy 32:31 For their rock is not as our Rock, even our enemies themselves being judges.
- Deuteronomy 32:32 For their vine is of the vine of Sodom, and of the fields of Gomorrah: their grapes are grapes of gall, their clusters are bitter:
- Deuteronomy 32:5 They have corrupted themselves, their spot is not the spot of his children: they are a perverse and crooked generation.
The Rock of Ages Who is the Only One Who delivers our soul from death.