John Calvin’s TULIP
The teachings of the French Reformer John Calvin also known as TULIP are true. The truth has quite a bit of resistance of those who prefer to believe the counter-reformation of the Jesuits. The Jesuit Society was founded by Ignatius Loyola. They messed up the Bible big time, to put it mildly. Like, the Pre-trib secret Rapture, Dispensation, the Seventieth Week of Daniel 9:27 as not being fulfilled. Before the counter-reformation, these issues were never heard of that is not to believed to be true.
The five points mentioned are Biblical sound. Often I read online how degrading is written about John Calvin and his remarkable Biblical insight. His self-denial shows his unconditional devotion to the LORD. His Work “The Institution of Christianity” is a masterpiece.
The essential teachings are also upheld and taught by Augustine, the reformers including John Wycliffe, Martin Luther, Ulrich Zwingli, Heinrich Bullinger, Martin Bucer and church leaders George Whitefield, Jonathan Edwards, Matthew Henry, and Abraham Kuyper.
Self-denial is that God, Jesus Christ has to be the very Center in daily our life. We are to live according to God’s Will, rejecting everything the world has to offer.
The majority says that “Calvinism” propagates” or “claims” is not true. They then come with Bible verses that are out of context. They either have not read the Institutions with an open Bible or did not understand his writings? Did they ever read his beautiful sermons, Or maybe it does/did not agree with the views of the many “Evangelicals”. ALL matters come FROM ABOVE. And we are dependent on the LORD of Hosts, the God of Israel. God, Jesus Christ, loved us FIRST.
The OT is not relevant anymore? Oh yes, because many sayings of the NT are quoted from the OT. It is God Who does the calling. It is God Who does the election. Likewise it is God Who decides who are the recipients of the Gift of salvation.
Having said this I’ll deal with the first two points of TULIP in this post. The remaining three points will be continued in my next post.
1/ TOTAL DEPRAVITY
When we are born into this world, we are lost by default in other words dead. Didn’t we turn against God to begin with? And there is nothing in us to change that. UNLESS God quickens us, In other words when God takes charge and brings us to life. Because God, Jesus Christ IS THE LIFE.
The apostle Paul is not saying God quickens everybody.
Ephesians 2:1–6 1 And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins; 2/ Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience: 3/ Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others. 4/ But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us, 5/ Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;) 6/ And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus.
Anyone who hates God is dead in sin and will remain so. The human flesh is against God.
- Romans 8:7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.
2/ UNCONDITIONAL ELECTION
Because God has the authority He chooses to grant eternal life to whom He wants to grant eternal life.
- 1Timothy 6:15 Which in his times he shall shew, who is the blessed and only Potentate, the King of kings, and Lord of lords;
God, Jesus Christ, is talking here to His disciples before His suffering on the cross. And Jesus Christ knew ahead of time that Peter would deny Him three times. And yet…..
- John 15:16 Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you.
When we are saved God will take care that we will continue to abide in Him to provide good fruit. We cannot do that ourselves. There is no way.
- John 15:5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.
God elected the prophet Jeremiah even before he was born.
- Jeremiah 1:1 Before I (=God) formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations.
God the King of Kings and Lord of Lords so He can do as He pleases and He will not be responsible for any of His actions. His Name must be glorified. After we are saved, we will be sealed with the Holy Spirit. We will seek Him daily.
God chose Abel above Cain.
- Genesis 4:4 And Abel, he also brought of the firstlings of his flock and of the fat thereof. And the LORD had respect unto Abel and to his offering: 5/ But unto Cain and to his offering he had not respect. And Cain was very wroth, and his countenance fell.
God chose Noah to build the Ark.
- Genesis 6:8 But Noah found grace in the eyes of the LORD.
- Genesis 6:14 Make thee an ark of gopher wood; rooms shalt thou make in the ark, and shalt pitch it within and without with pitch.
God Himself shut the door of the Ark after Noah, his family and all the animals went in. A fore shadowing of God’s salvation.
Genesis 7:16 And they that went in, went in male and female of all flesh, as God had commanded him: and the LORD shut him in.
God chose Abra(ha)m to be the father of many nations. Genesis 12:1-3
- 1 Now the LORD had said unto Abram, Get thee out of thy country, and from thy kindred, and from thy father’s house, unto a land that I will shew thee:
- 2 And I will make of thee a great nation, and I will bless thee, and make thy name great; and thou shalt be a blessing:
- 3 And I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curseth thee: and in thee shall all families of the earth be blessed.
God loved Jacob and hated Esau even before they were born. Paul is quoting Malachi.
- Romans 9:13 “As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated.”
- Malachi 1:1-3 The burden of the word of the LORD to Israel by Malachi. 2/ I have loved you, saith the LORD. Yet ye say, Wherein hast thou loved us? Was not Esau Jacob’s brother? saith the LORD: yet I loved Jacob, 3/ And I hated Esau, and laid his mountains and his heritage waste for the dragons of the wilderness.
God chose Moses to lead the Hebrew people out of Egyptian bondage and to be His servant above his relative Korah. The fact is Korah was against the LORD and His choosing.
- Numbers chapter 16 3/And they gathered themselves together against Moses and against Aaron, and said unto them, Ye take too much upon you, seeing all the congregation are holy, every one of them, and the LORD is among them: wherefore then lift ye up yourselves above the congregation of the LORD?
God speaking to Moses and Aaron.
- Numbers 16:21 Separate yourselves from among this congregation, that I may consume them (=Korah and his family) in a moment.
Ruth was to become the great-grandmother of David. Orpah returned to the fields of Moab.
- Ruth 1:14 And they lifted up their voice, and wept again: and Orpah kissed her mother in law; but Ruth clave unto her.
- Ruth 1:16 And Ruth said, Intreat me not to leave thee, or to return from following after thee: for whither thou goest, I will go; and where thou lodgest, I will lodge: thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God:
God chose the youngest son of Jesse to be anointed king above his brothers. 1Samuel 16:10-12
- 10 Again, Jesse made seven of his sons to pass before Samuel. And Samuel said unto Jesse, The LORD hath not chosen these.
- 11 And Samuel said unto Jesse, Are here all thy children? And he said, There remaineth yet the youngest, and, behold, he keepeth the sheep. And Samuel said unto Jesse, Send and fetch him: for we will not sit down till he come hither.
- 12 And he sent, and brought him in. Now he was ruddy, and withal of a beautiful countenance, and goodly to look to. And the LORD said, Arise, anoint him: for this is he.
To be continued part 2, the three remaining points of TULIP